The Bown House is located on the campus of Riverside Elementary School in Boise. The house is one of the earliest homes still remaining in southwestern Idaho and is in the National Register of Historic places. Built of locally quarried sandstone in 1869, it was considered the grandest dwelling in Boise’s outlying districts. Joseph Bown was a rancher. Temperance Bown taught school at South Boise’s pioneer one-room school and for a time, when the school burned, Mrs. Bown held classes in her home. Boise City school children now have history classes in the house. The Assistance League of Boise is a recipient of the Glenn Janss Award for Exemplary Work in Preserving Idaho’s Heritage.