The State of Idaho and the City of Boise built this elegant bridge in honor of the Pioneers of the Oregon Trail who had previously crossed near this location on the McClennen Ferry.
Built in 1931 as part of the City of Boise's planning efforts to provide an axial alignment between the Union Pacific Depot and the Capitol Statehouse, its design captures the spirit of the Beautify Boise movement.
It follows the beaux arts principles of French neoclassical architecture; principles based on symmetry, balance, and splendor - as in the grand thoroughfare of the Champs-Elysees in Paris, an axis of grand vistas linking historic monuments.
Featuring geometric shapes in repetition and symmetry, graceful curves and elegance, and bronze metal sunburst detailing over the memorial artwork, the bridge is in the Art Deco style, typical of the 1920's - 1930's. The bridge originally included lighting on the piers reflecting off the Boise River, creating a spectacular glow. The Trust was asked to help support the restoration of the historical lighting.
Considering that it was constructed of concrete by 100 men working 16-hour days, 7 days per week for 200 days to beat the river's rising, the craftsmanship of the concrete detailing of the curves and reveals is extraordinary.
The bridge is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.