The Sawtooth National Forest Service built the original facility in 1908 for use as a ranger station overseeing the livestock grazing and small mining operations in the upper Antelope Creek watershed. Over time National Forest boundaries changed, and today the station is part of the Salmon-Challis National Forest. The early station consisted of the ranger’s house, a storehouse, and a log barn. Between 1934 and 1935 the Civilian Conservation Corps built the garage, a new barn, and remodeled the ranger’s house to the current Forest Service standards. At some point, the facility changed use from a ranger station to a guard station and work-crews were based out of the station until the mid-1980’s.
The Idaho Heritage Trust and the Salmon-Challis National Forest have created a condition assessment and conservation plan for the Antelope Guard Station. Future plans include re-opening the station as a guard station, an environmental education center, and a community meeting place for the Antelope Valley residents. In the winter, the guard station will be available to outdoor recreationists under the Forest Service cabin rental system.