The Bayhorse Mining District came into being in 1864 and in 1879 professor J.E. Clayton from Atlanta selected a mill site in the village that is now Clayton, Idaho. By 1882 forty-eight men were employed to produce over 180,000 bushels of charcoal to maintain the smelting operation each year. The community purchased their supplies from the Idaho Mining and Smelter Company Store until 1910 when other stores opened. The recently restored building is now a museum and community meeting place.
Idaho Mining and Smelting Company Store Clayton, Custer County