-
Indian Springs School House - Title
Indian Springs School House - Left Image
detail

The historic Valley Creek Ranger Station, built in 1933 is on the National Register of Historic Places.  It is located at the confluence of Valley Creek and the Salmon River.  The Ranger Station was the headquarters for the Stanley Ranger district of the Challis National Forest from 1933 to 1971.  The compound consists of four historic buildings; the Ranger's residence/office, the ice house / toolshed, the barn, and a second office building / garage.  Electricity did not come to the Stanley basin until around 1954.  

Today the compound is managed by the Sawtooth Interpretive and Historical Association and is home to the Stanley Museum.

Indian Springs School House - Right Image
Indian Springs School House - Lower Right
detail

Stanley Museum (Valley Creek Ranger Station Ice House)
Stanley, Custer County

  • Grants: 1992, 2012, 2013, 2014 Sister Alfreda Award Winner

Location: Highway 75 between Stanley and Lower Stanley
Google map: Not Available

   


close window