The Whiskey Springs homestead and stage stop represents one of a very few intact, publicly-owned homesteads located in the Big Lost Valley. It is believed the family of Claudius Larter built the existing main house and outbuildings and then patented 160 adjacent acres in 1908 under the Homestead Act. In 1910, the family started the stage station for travellers along the nearby freight road. In 1918, the town of Chilly was established and the freight road was diverted to go through town. This caused business to cease and the family moved across the valley near the town of Chilly the following year. In the 1920’s, the stage station was resurrected with a log gas station and rest stop for auto travelers along State Hwy 27 (now Highway 93). Remnants of the gas station and freight road can still be seen on site.
The main house at Whiskey Springs was stabilized and restored in 2002 by the BLM using available “At Risk” funding sources. The BLM will stabilize and restore the Spring House in the summer of 2012.
Spring House Restoration, Whiskey Springs Stage Stop Custer County
Location: Hwy 93 at Chilly Slough, Custer County, ID No Map Available