White Spring Ranch
White Spring Ranch
William C. Dillingham originally homesteaded the Lorang Farm. It was then sold to George and Arsula Jamison who then sold the farm to John and Mary Lorang. The White Spring Ranch was established by John and Mary Lorang in 1885 and was created by using the original homestead of unknown age with its bay window and front porch. In 1890 the kitchen and washroom additions were built to help house ten children until 1904 when prosperous times allowed for finishing the home further. The original homestead building was turned and the additions moved to create space for a two-story addition with upper and lower balconies, all in Folk Victorian style. John Lorang collected photos, journals, letters, curios and trees. About 1924 he acquired his neighbor’s long-standing log cabin, numbered the logs and moved it behind his home. He also built another cabin to house his growing number of curios and taxidermy items, after a time opening it as his own museum. He also created his own aqueduct from a spring on the farm allowing him to bring water to the home, barn and to a fountain he built himself. White Spring Ranch gets its name from the property later purchased by John and his brother Theodore Lorang from W. J. White and from the twin springs on the farm. The farm is in the National Register of Historic Places.
White Spring Ranch

White Spring Ranch
Genesee, Latah County

  • Grants: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014, 2015

Location: 1004 Lorang Road, Genesee, ID 83832
View Google map

 
 


close window