Over 293,000 men took their Navel basic training at Farragut during
WWII. Thousands of civilians were involved in the construction and operation of the base.
In 1999, John Hendrix of Tum Tum, Washington offered to donate a 1938 Ford Flatbed 1.5 ton truck to Farragut State Park. On the cab doors, in faded original paint were painted the words U S Navy, Farragut Naval Training Station. Through photos, the truck was identified as one of the fleet at Farragut during World War II. The truck was retrieved by the staff at Farragut State Park and fully restored.