Bellevue was mapped in 1880 when it had a population of 20. Two years later the booming mining town boasted 2000 inhabitants. Construction of the Oregon Short Line Railway through town in 1882 added to the town’s strategic importance. In 1883 Bellevue received its city charter from the Territory of Idaho, which it retains today, the last town in Idaho to do so. The original town hall was built for $240 in 1890 to house the hand fire cart. The bell in the tower rang to announce a fire and in later years when curfew was called. A city office was added in back. For a few years the Hall housed the Idaho Heritage Trust offices. The building now houses the Bellevue Historical Society. The Town Hall and Jail are contributing buildings to Bellevue’s National Historic District.