Beginning in 1843, more than 200,000 pioneers drove covered wagons and stock among these massive natural formations on their way to the California gold fields. Many wrote their names on the rocks with axle grease. The covered wagon played a vital role in those early years of trail travel and was the most significant method of travel for both emigrants and for transport of goods and equipment to miners and farmers further down the trail. A Trust grant helped to restore a covered wagon donated by local landowner Cordell Sheridan. The area’s historical and geological values, scenery, and opportunities for recreation led to its designation as City of Rocks National Reserve in 1988. This unit of the National Park System is managed cooperatively with the Idaho Department of Parks and Recreation. The Reserve is in the National Register of Historic Places.
City of Rocks Sheridan Wagon Almo, Cassia County
Location: City of Rocks National Reserve, Almo, Idaho 83342