The first Catholic Church of the Wood River Valley was a small frame building located next to a livery stable near 1st Avenue and Bullion Street in 1883. The small structure was later moved to its present location on First Avenue. As the congregation grew a larger facility needed to be built. The current church was constructed on the same location in 1913 under the guidance of Nicholas F. Wirtzberger for the Diocese of Boise. The cost was $7200.
The church was designed by Tourtellotte and Hummel and is architecturally significant as an example of Gothic Revival. It is also one of the most remarkable examples in the state of Idaho for the use of architectural decorative metal sheathing of the steeple. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.