The Territorial Jail was built in 1881. Bellevue did not yet have its charter (1883) from the Territorial Legislature, and Idaho would not attain statehood for nine more years. Alturas County needed law enforcement and this small jail was part of the system. The jail features two cells and a front area for the deputy. Log timbers inside the jail were identified and repositioned. The outer door was located and re-hung. The jail was put on new footings and the sod roof and wood floor were replaced. The Jail is in its original location behind the Old Town Hall on Main Street/Highway 75.