Much of the architectural destiny of a town lies in the available building materials. The sandstone for Community memorial Auditorium was quarried from a site near the cemetery. The Works Progress Administration built the Hall in 1935 and 1936. It was the local stone that caused problems for the buildings. The stone is primarily a type of volcanic glass, which deteriorated into clay. The clay acts as cement to old the volcanic particles together but begins to deteriorate when exposed to moisture for long periods. Some of the parapets were replaced to help address this problem.
Community Memorial Hall/ Auditorium
(Community & Seniors Center) Lava Hot Springs, Bannock County
Grants: 1995, 2002
Location: 150 North Center Street, Lava Hot Springs, Idaho 83246