Oneida Stake Academy
Oneida Stake Academy
Late in the 19th century, the Edmunds-Tucker Act prevented Mormons from holding public office, including that of teaching in public schools. Mormons were concerned about the anti-Mormon philosophies their children were receiving in state-run schools, so they began an intensive effort to build their own educational facilities from Canada to the Mexican colonies. Over 30 academies were built for this purpose. Oneida Stake Academy is one of the oldest, having been organized in 1888 in Franklin. The new rock academy was finished in 1895. John Nuffer was the head stone mason. Members of the local community, with help from the Mormon Historic Sites group raised the money to move the building to its present site where it is being restored.
Oneida Stake Academy

Oneida Stake Academy
Georgetown, Bear Lake County

  • Grants: 2000, 2008

Location: Ezra Taft Benson Park, NW corner of 2nd S. and 2nd E. Streets, Preston, Idaho
OR
Turn East from US 91 onto Oneida street (traffic light), drive 1 block to the Oneida Stake Academy on the south side of the road. 42° 5'45.88"N, 111°52'27.47"W
View Google map

 


close window