The Adams County Courthouse was designed by Architect Charles Kaufman and constructed in 1915. The building was used to house the county court, assessor’s office, treasurer’s office and administration. The undeveloped portion of the basement was later remodeled to house the county jail and police department. For the most part, the interior has remained unaltered since its initial construction. The building was vacated by the county in 2000 and has since been cared for by the Adams County Historic Preservation Commission.