Southern Idaho Timber Protective Association Buildings
Southern Idaho Timber Protective Association Buildings

The Central Idaho Historical Museum occupies a five-acre site that consists of log structures built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (C.C.C.) in 1937 for the Southern Idaho Timber Protective Association (SITPA).   All eight buildings are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  The Warden’s House was built to house the Fire Warden’s family and SITPA operations, as well as provide lodging for various dignitaries from the Governor to the Land Board.  The Fire Warden’s House is an example of American Rustic Architecture combined with a Scandinavian influence due to the three Finnish craftsmen who directed the buildings’ construction.  The Finnish craftsman techniques include dovetail corners, hand-peeled varnished log interior walls, hand-fitted door casings and trim, and hand-made furnishings.  The fireplaces are made from slate (obtained near Riggins) and Chert (obtained near Donnelly).  Logs for the House, Bunkhouse and Pump House came from timber stands around Payette Lake. Many of the original hand-made furnishings remain from the original Oregon Trail chairs to the 1938 Jacquard Loom bedspreads.

Southern Idaho Timber Protective Association Buildings
Southern Idaho Timber Protective Association Buildings

Southern Idaho Timber Protective Association Buildings
McCall, Valley County

  • Grants: 1993, 1996, 2008

Location: 1001 State Street, McCall, Idaho 83638
View Google map

 


close window