The Strauss House believed to have been built between 1867 – 1870 originally as a commercial structure is located within the heart of the historic district of Idaho City. The original portion of the property has maintained its historic integrity since the gold mining days of the 1860’s and 1870’s. In 1972 the house was moved 4 blocks and a few small additions have occurred. Today the Strauss House is home to the Idaho City Arts Council Artists’ Co-op. They maintain the beautiful gardens around the house that have been the subject of many artists’ work and location to many weddings, and parties over the last 40 years.